What is a Student Council?
Each year group elects representatives to the Council and elects its own committee consisting of Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer, Public Relations Officer and other officers. The Student’s Council undertakes a wide range of activities, which benefit the whole school community.
The principal reasons for the Student Council
- To promote a good working relationship between teachers and students.
- To promote the general welfare of the school and the community.
- To develop leadership qualities and organisational skills within the membership.
- To provide a forum for students to voice their opinions on issues that are relevant to them, giving them the experience of being involved in a consultative, democratic process.
- To promote and encourage a greater school spirit.
- To raise awareness and take an active role in school and extra-curricular activities. This may include the organisation of fund-raising initiatives.
- To encourage a positive involvement of all students in the life of the school.
- To discuss any aspect of school business which involves the students, with the exception of any uncomplimentary mention of any member of staff or management or student by name or implication.